- promote competition and fair trade in markets to benefit consumers, businesses, and the community by enforcing competition and consumer law
- monitor and report to Government on, and where relevant regulate, national infrastructure services (including telecommunications)
- to ensure that individuals and businesses comply with Australian competition, fair trading, and consumer protection laws.
- Competition and Consumer Act 2010
Has functions under:
- Telecommunications Act 1997
- National Broadband Network Companies Act 2011
- Radiocommunications Act 1992
All businesses in most areas of the economy (for example, ASIC is responsible for consumer protection in financial services).
Internal to department / external entity